Are you getting ready to make a move to Durham? Whether you're looking for condos for sale in Durham, NC, or you're looking for Durham, NC luxury homes, there are several key things you may want to know before you make the move to the area. Prepare yourself with this critical information before you get ready to make the move so that you'll be ready to dive in and start enjoying the local area.
1. Durham offers robust employment opportunities.
Moving to Durham, NC may mean finding a new job. Luckily, Durham is filled with opportunities. Not only have Google and Amazon both recently increased their presence in the area, opening up more jobs to the local community, but there are also a number of options to choose from, including technology-based jobs, medical jobs, and an incredible array of local schools, including easy access to Duke University and its open positions. People searching for employment in Durham will find that they have plenty of opportunities available to them, which can help them embark on an exciting career.
2. Durham has a rich community filled with connections and opportunity
3. Cost of living in Durham hovers slightly below the national average
4. Public transportation is easily accessible in Durham
5. Durham offers a downtown entertainment district where you can find plenty of places to play
Durham Bulls Athletic Park
Want to take in a minor league baseball game? Check out Durham Bulls Athletic Park. You can buy season tickets to allow you to take in the games all season long or pick and choose between some of your favorites when you just want to catch a game or two.
Durham Performing Arts Center
Are you looking to take in a performance? Whether you're interested in ballet, theater, or music, you'll find regular performances at Durham Performing Arts Center to help you take in and enjoy the culture. You can also check out Carolina Theater for more opportunities.
Bars and restaurants
6. Durham, NC offers a lot of annual events and festivals
As you enjoy everything Durham has to offer, make sure you plan to take in the regular events and festivals throughout the area. It seems as though there's always something happening and something new to check out in the Durham area. Many popular events keep coming back year after year, so you can create your own traditions and make the most of time with friends and family.
- January: Kwanzaa Celebration
- February: The Hayti Heritage Film Festival
- March: The Bull City Food & Beer Experience
- April: The Full Frame Documentary Film Festival
- May: Bimbe Cultural Arts Festival
- June: American Dance Festival; Beaver Queen Pageant
- July: Festival for the Eno
- August: OUTSOUTH Queer Festival; Bull City Rumble
- September: The Art of Cool Festival; Black Wall Street: Homecoming; Centerfest Arts Festival; Pride: Durham
- October: World Beer Festival
- November: Durham Art Walk Holiday Market; NC Comicon & Comiquest Film Festival
- December: Christmas by Candlelight
7. Durham offers many parks for outdoor recreation
If you're looking for a chance to get outdoors and enjoy the gorgeous weather in the area, Durham delivers. You have several local parks and playgrounds to choose from, from Sandy Creek Park to Rockwood Park. Around the Durham area, you'll find two indoor pools, three outdoor pools, and four splash pads that are perfect for beating the summer heat. You can also find playgrounds, running or walking trails, and plenty of opportunities to get outside. Durham also has a number of thriving youth athletics programs that meet at those local parks on a regular basis, making it the ideal location for families who are interested in sports and recreation.
Of course, don't forget about the gorgeous local lakes! In northern Durham County, you'll find Lake Michie and Little River Lake, where you can engage in a variety of boating, fishing, and swimming activities.
8. Durham has a busy nightlife with a little something for everyone
Are you interested in heading out to the bar? Arcana or Luna's Nightclub are great choices. Prefer to spend some time at the arcade? Boxcar Bar & Arcade has more than 50 arcade cabinets, 15 pinball machines, and an evening full of fun. You can also check out comedy shows, theater, and more, all in the later hours of the day. With so many activities to choose from, it can be difficult to convince yourself to head home at the end of the night.
9. Locals get excited about supporting the Blue Devils basketball team
10. The culinary scene is steadily growing across Durham
In recent years, the culinary scene in Durham has really started to pop. There are an array of restaurants to choose from, many of which will allow you to satisfy your favorite tastes. You can find anything from Indian or Chinese cuisine to barbecue, sandwiches, and more. In Durham, you won't just find popular or familiar chain restaurants. Instead, you'll find a wide variety of food options created by stunning chefs that will tickle your palate and provide you with everything you can imagine. If you're moving to the Durham area, you're sure to find plenty of culinary delights at every turn. Set up a plan to check out some of the best restaurants in the city so that you'll be able to learn more about everything it has to offer.